Thursday, August 28, 2008

Vinegar - Useful and Frugal

This works BETTER than Drain-O or any other product on the market:

First you need to pour ½ cup of baking soda down the drain. Make sure all of it is in the drain. Then you pour ½ cup of plain white vinegar down the drain. This will cause a foaming action and the foam will spill back up the drain. Don’t worry about it; the foam will go back down.

Let this sit in the drain for at least 2 hours. If the clog is really bad up the solution to 1 cup of each. After you have let it sit boil a pot of water, and make sure it’s boiling hot. Then flush the drain with that boiling pot of water. This should clear your drain.

Some people swear by this and use is regularly. In fact to keep your drain clear you can do the ½ cup of each every month as a preventative as well.


Oven Cleaner:

5 Tb of Baking soda

4 Tb white vinegar

3 drops or squirts of dish soap

You stir it up to make a thick paste and use one of those green scrubbies. After I scrub it for just a few minutes I wipe all the junk up and take my handy bottle of 1/2 white vinager and 1/2 water solution(my all purpose cleaner) give it a spray and quick wipe and it is sparkling. I have to say the best part of it all is that it is non-toxic.


Vinegar really works for ants!! We had teeny red ants all over the kitchen and pantry. I bought a 50 cent spray bottle, mix a 50/50 white vinegar-water solution, and when I'm done with the dishes, I spray the counters down with that to clean them. My son and I took everything out of the pantry & sprayed the shelves, then put it all back in. I haven't seen an ant since!!! We spray the counters at least once a day, the smell fades in just a few minutes.

No comments: